Saturday, July 22, 2006

Gone, Going

Well, it is 3 days until I take off for Philadelphia and then to Niger. I will be attending orientation meetings from Tuesday until Thursday and then it is "wheels up" to Niger. After we get settled in at our training ground, I have been told not to contact anyone for 5 weeks. So I will be lucky to have gotten to a computer in that time. So please be patient when checking this site, because I don't know how often I'll be able to get to it.

A list of most things I am taking:
2 pairs of shorts
2 pairs of synthetic pants
some synthetic and cotton t-shirts
Pocket knives - compliments of John A. Foley
GPS device
Digital camera
iPod
Solar charger for all of my elec. equip.
Frisbees
Soccer Ball
Guitar
Really good books
Rugged sandals
A solar-charged bug repeller
Batteries
Journal
Pictures
Anti-bacterial wipes
Protein bars
Crayons and other gifts for my host family (including a Pacers shirt)
Hats and sunglasses
Sleeping bag
Flashlights
and most importantly: Duct tape

Supposedly many people overpack for the Peace Corps, and I don't think I am one of them. This should all fit in one big bag. They dress conservatively where I'll be, so I can mostly expect to be wearing pants and button up shirts (and to be doing a lot of laundry). The temperature averages about 90 degrees during the year; getting up to 120 in April and May and then as low as 40 at night during the winter. So basically I am going to lose 20 pounds in water weight, and then some. French is the national language of Niger. I hope to be fluent in a few months time. We also have to learn a local language - Hausa or Zarma- while training in our first 3 months. After 3 months of training and living with a host family, I then set sail for my own village where I will live on my own - most likely in a hut.

Although nervous at times, overall I am very excited to embark on this adventure. The hardest thing I am leaving behind are most definately friends and FAMILY. I love you all dearly. And remember (as I try to do) that I'll be gone 2 years, not forever! So this is my last blog from the States.

A bientot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home