Sunday, June 25, 2006

Pre-departure thoughts

I am currently in Florida with my family where I will be vacationing for the next 2 weeks. Here I reside in a multi-million dollar condo provided so kindly to us by our family friends. Every morning I eat an incredible breakfast outside on our glutonous veranda. Robe intact with the best of the best food I would want, I ponder how these circumstances will be void of my life in less than a month.

It seems no better way to understand extremes of wealth and poverty than to live in them. Although it seems easy to live this way daily, I would find myself feeling the urge to do more than be content with such a bitterlysweet-comfortable lifestyle. I notice so many things that go to waste here: $100,000 boats lay dormant for 10 months out of the year - some not being used at all by their owner(s). I just wonder what kind of things can be done with the money wasted in these and similar situations here and elsewhere.

I imagine a time in the future where resources can be spread amongst those who need them most while still maintaining the needs of those who require more than necessities. I have definately observed an empirical fact of life: wealth does not breed happpiness. However, wealth combined with other positive factors, I feel, can provide extreme happiness. One of my goals later in life is to find this balance and live it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home